Thursday, January 15, 2015

Freezing Matters

Yesterday started out like any other January morning. At 6:00am sharp my alarm started blaring and with a nauseating feeling in my stomach I knew the morning had started. It took all of my strength to pry my legs from the toasty comfort my bed provides. As I headed out the front door the headlights from my mom's car streaked through the morning fog. A layer of gray covered anything taller than thirty feet high like a blanket of dish-water cotton candy. The ice fought me as I ripped the door to the frozen car open. I slumped into shotgun and fumbled to smash the heat-seat button as soon as I could.

When I found myself sliding out of the car I remembered thinking the fog looked so pretty. The North 40 Field was hiding and the only thing I could make out was the path up to two to three feet in front of me. I love the mornings like this because it makes being inside at school feel so much more cozy. First period consisted of the same weather.

I have second period at the high school, the walk up to my class was comparable to my walk to school in the morning.

Then it happened.

Half way through second period it was as if the Gods above got into a pillow fight and the feathers were plummeting to the ground on Earth. Huge flakes of frozen condensation started ribboning through the sky. The little window looking out of French class in room 142 didn't even do the storm any justice. The walk back to Treasure was the real deal. As I opened the side door out into the snow globe, the nippy air hit me like a wave and I was immersed in the cold. I knew that is was going to be one of the longest five-minute walks of my life. I was right.

By the time I got back to Treasure, I'd never been happier to have reached those front doors going into school. My jacket went from dry to drenched and the fluff was gathered in piles on my shoulders and the top of my backpack. My braided hair had turned into a snow-caked-popcicle, and the mascara on my eyelashes had migrated to dark circles underneath my eyes.

Photo Courtesy: parkcitymountain.com

The worst part is I had to go back to the high school again for fourth period.

At that point the cotton balls had died down to specks of white sprinkles, so the walk there wasn't as bad as my walk back from second period was. The air was still frigid, I could feel my nostrils freeze shut every time I sniffled, but at least I wasn't layered from head to toe in snow.

When school got out, they made an announcement over the intercom that they were canceling all after school activities, including all varsity sports. The roads were so bad that they canceled everything.

I was hoping that maybe all of this would mean a snow day the next day. Unfortunately I had no such luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment