Thursday, January 15, 2015

Second Quarter Finals

With two days left in quarter two, units and lessons are ending, and the final tests, quizzes, and assesments are resurfacing. I am not a great test taker, so when up to 50% of my ultimate grade in a class is relying on a final, it can build up some anxiety. I also know that I can't be the only one who does fine in class but struggles when given a sixty-question multiple choice test. I have a hard time believing that a Scantron score can give a full perspective assessment on how much I'm learning or how "smart" I am. I find it sad that a number, like a test score, is what's determining my learning levels, but until they find a better system I'll be up at all hours studying.

Scantron
Photo Courtesy: delmar.edu

Just thinking about how many tests I have the next day gives me that tickle of uneasiness in the pit of my stomach. The stress from it all starts to affect other aspects of my life. I notice that I am more irritable with my friends and family when I am stressed out from school. I get tired more easily and often. I feel so overwhelmed by everything that sometimes I don't have any energy left in me to contain snapping at someone.

Everyone gets stressed out from school, a stress relief can be helpful. Sometimes going for a run with some good music can help me take my mind off of things for things for a little bit, sometimes all I need is a long hot shower. Deep breaths are also important ;). Although it is crucial to have a relief to all of this anxiety, you can't just ignore what you need to do because that will make it worse. You need to make sure you are studying and preparing for your classes because this will make you feel more confident going into your test, and in the process hopefully relieving some of your stress at the source.

Photo Courtesy: mindpostinspiration.com

Good study habits are NEVER a bad thing. The number one thing on my list of bad habits probably has to be procrastination. Take it from someone who puts the "pro" in procrastination, don't do it. If you get what you need to get done before it has to be done it gives you so much more wiggle room for something to go wrong. Turning in your work earlier makes school amazingly easier, and not on time, early. Give yourself more than one night to study for your tests too. It's one way to eliminate majorities of your stress. No one likes a last minute time crunch. Another study deficiency to kick to the curb is your phone. I know it can be harder than it should be sometimes, but if you can keep it in a drawer while you study for half-an-hour or so while you study, you'd be surprised by how much more you retain from your studying just by being completely focussed and immersed in what you're learning. One other thing that can help you if you're going through the same end-of-the-quarter shenanigans that I am: sleep. A full eight hours is a must if you're looking to at least keep your eyes open during your tests. Yes, that is a very hypocritical thing to say on my part, but we all try, right? ;) Keep up good study habits and that will most likely make your week go ten times easier.

Good luck on your finals, god knows I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment